The Georgia Trust

2011 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

New College
University of Georgia, Athens, Clarke County

The History
Constructed in 1822 as a dormitory for University of Georgia upperclassmen, the original New College building was destroyed by fire in 1830 and rebuilt in 1832. The building was used as classroom space by the School of Pharmacy and the Psychology Department until 1970 when the building became administrative offices for campus planning and the College of Arts and Sciences.  Rehabilitation of New College began in 2008 with significant structural modifications to secure interior load bearing corridor walls. Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing upgrades were completed.   Also, ADA accessibility requirements were addressed.

The Project
Garbutt Construction Company’s rehabilitation of New College began in 2008 with significant structural modifications to secure interior load bearing corridor walls. Mechanical, electrical and plumbing upgrades were completed along with the addition of ADA accessibility requirements. Space for the additional systems was accommodated through hand-excavation in the existing crawlspace of the basement level.

 

 

 

 


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search