The Georgia Trust

2011 PRESERVATION AWARDS: CHAIRMAN'S AWARD

Greystone, Piedmont Park Conservancy
Atlanta, Fulton County

This granite building was designed in 1926 by Edwards and Sayward Architects to serve as bathhouses for those visiting Piedmont Park to swim. The park’s bathhouse was utilized as a shower and restroom facility to support swimming at Piedmont Park, first in Lake Clara Meer and most recently in the 1970’s City of Atlanta swimming pool. The granite Greystone bathhouse remains one of the oldest bath houses in the country.  

With the completion of Piedmont Park’s new Aquatic Center, the Greystone bathhouse was rehabilitated to accommodate an elegant reception space, various-sized meeting rooms, catering kitchen, support spaces, and an expansive outdoor terrace. Exposed materials and structure highlight the historic character of the building. Careful integration of systems and finish materials result in a clean sophisticated design which balances today’s requirements with the integral beauty of the historic structure.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search