The Georgia Trust

2011 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN RESTORATION

Old Fort Jackson
Savannah, Chatham County

The History
Old Fort Jackson, built in 1808, is one of the last remaining second system fortifications that were constructed along the eastern coast to aide in coastal defenses for the War of 1812. It is the last remaining fortification built as a masonry gun battery and was used during both the War of 1812 and the Civil War. Significant architectural features include a tide tunnel and pyramidal foundation.

The Project
Due to increasing salinity of the Savannah River, the structural integrity of the fort was greatly compromised. The Coastal Heritage Society’s Preservation Team restored this National Historic Landmark to structurally sound condition. All repairs, materials, and methods were carefully researched and replaced in-kind where possible. Today, Old Fort James Jackson is used as educational resource hosting 50,000 visitors per year.

 

 

 

 


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search