The Georgia Trust

2011 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

Clarence Thomas Center for Historic Preservation
Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, Chatham County

The History
The Clarence Thomas Center for Historic Preservation building was originally a convent, established by two Benedictine priests in 1874. The convent soon grew into the St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church and served as a school from 1907 to 1969. In recent years, Savannah College of Art and Design acquired the building and turned it into a site for the study of historic preservation and heritage conservation.

The Project
Under the guidance of architect Neil Dawson, the convent has been rehabilitated to create the Clarence Thomas Center for Historic Preservation. The building’s rehabilitation included new technology upgrades, conservation labs, and the conversion of the chapel into a lecture hall.

 

 

 

 


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search