OSSABAW ISLAND BOARDING HOUSE
Ossabaw Island, Chatham County
The 4,000 square-foot Boarding House was built on Ossabaw in 1918 during an era when the island was used as a hunting retreat by its owners, the partners of Savannah’s Strachan Shipping Company.
In 2004, the Ossabaw Island Foundation embarked on the restoration of the Boarding House after it suffered more than 20 years of neglect and deterioration. Owner of the building is the State of Georgia.
With the conclusion of the restoration project in October 2009, the Boarding House now offers an upstairs apartment for an on-island coordinator in addition to four semi-private rooms for researchers, teachers, artists, students and others working on Ossabaw.