The Georgia Trust

2010 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

MLK, JR. FEDERAL BUILDING
Atlanta, Fulton County

The History
This massive 350,000 square-foot building was designed by A. Ten Eyck Brown and completed in 1933 as Atlanta’s main post office and the largest construction project in the city during the Great Depression. Purchased by the General Services Administration in the mid-1980s, it has the distinction of being the first federal government building named for Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

The Project
The extensive rehabilitation focused on stabilizing and restoring spalls, cracks, displacement, and corrosion of the building’s exterior by using the strip method of stone removal to minimize the invasiveness of removing, restoring, and replacing over 6,000 façade stones.

Owner of the building is the General Services Administration. Architect of the project was Lord, Aeck & Sargent.

Current Use
The sensitive façade restoration, including lead-paint removal and window repair, was conducted with rigorous noise and security measures in place as not to disrupt the building’s continuous use.


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search