The Georgia Trust

2010 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

BRAWNER HALL
Smyrna, Cobb County

The History
In 1910, the city of Smyrna welcomed a new psychiatric hospital named for local mental health visionary, Dr. James Brawner.

The Project
Closed since 1999, the hospital was purchased by the City of Smyrna in 2001. The rehabilitation of the 1910 hospital and its historically significant 1914 concrete addition was funded through a Special Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST).

Owner of the building is the City of Smyrna. Architect of the project was Lord, Aeck & Sargent. Contractor was Potts Construction. Structural engineer was Willett Engineering. MEP Engineer was Tolson, Simpson & Associates.

Current Use
With the original building and the addition returned to their 1914 character, Brawner Hall now houses offices for the City of Smyrna, assembly space, classroom space, a catering kitchen, and public restrooms.


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search