The Georgia Trust

2010 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN RESTORATION

ARNOLD HALL
Savannah, Chatham County

The History
Built in 1922 as Chatham County’s first public high school, this 88,000 square foot Greek Revival building with a 1950s addition, sat vacant and in disrepair for 12 years before its purchase by Savannah College of Art and Design.

The Project
The restoration of Arnold Hall achieved its goals of maintaining as much of the original structure as possible, reinstating the building’s original use as classroom space, and producing SCAD’s first LEED certified classroom building by successfully redefining usable classroom space, restoring interior elements including a significant 1935 mural, restoring existing large windows and a skylight to capitalize on natural light, and retaining 100% of the existing shell materials and 95% of interior partitions.

Architect of the project was Hansen Architects of Savannah.

Current Use
SCAD’s Arnold Hall once again offers classroom space, and its newly restored and upgraded auditorium provides an educational and cultural venue for students and members of the community.


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search