Built in 1857 by Nelson Tift, the founder of Albany, Georgia, to guarantee the extension of the rail line to Albany, the Tift Warehouse is Southwest Georgia's only remaining antebellum brick railroad depot. The construction of a larger depot in 1910 caused the building to be repurposed as a wholesale grocery warehouse; those modifications contributed to its susceptibility to flooding and moisture problems.
Early changes to the rail yard's topography and configuration further contributed to the warehouse's frequent flooding. These flooding episodes and continual issues with rising damp and moisture infiltration have compromised the stability of the warehouse's masonry walls.
Assist in increasing awareness of the site and its historical significance to the development of Albany and the State of Georgia. Use increased awareness levels and publicity for fundraising efforts. Prepare a comprehensive preservation plan for the site.