Constructed in 1858-59, Stilesboro Academy's grand opening was celebrated with a picnic on the first Saturday of May in 1859, a tradition the community has continued for the past 153 years. The school was occupied by the Union Army in 1864 and spared by Sherman. The school was saved again in the 1930s when the ladies of the Stilesboro Improvement Club raised money for the Bartow County School Board to purchase new lumber for a modern school, rather than demolish Stilesboro Academy and reclaim its lumber.
The Stilesboro Improvement Club remains the caretakers of the Academy, but with a dwindling membership, the building's continual maintenance poses a challenge.
Obtain increased recognition for this building. Help rehabilitate the building and identify economically sustainable uses to create income for its continued preservation.
For more information about Stilesboro Academy, visit www.stilesboroacademy.org.