Built in 1939, Rutherford Hall is the University of Georgia's third oldest female dormitory and has been the residence of hundreds of young women. The Neoclassical style building was constructed with Public Works Administration (PWA) funds during President Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal program.
The University is proposing to demolish the residence hall in order to build a new 260-bed residence hall on the same site as Rutherford. The Georgia Trust is working with local, state and national agencies and organizations to raise awareness about the rehabilitation potential of the current dormitory, stressing its contribution to the historic fabric of the University and to its quad, as well as the preferable environmental impact of reusing a structure versus new construction.
Convince the University to rehabilitate and reuse the current residence hall.