The Georgia Trust

2012 PLACES IN PERIL: CHATTAHOOCHEE PARK PAVILION

THE STORY
Built at the turn of the 20th century, Chattahoochee Park Pavilion was used as an entertainment venue in an amusement park called Chattahoochee Park, built on the banks of what was then Lake Warner. Georgia Power purchased the facility in 1923 and operated it as an employee retreat until 1955. When Lake Lanier was completed in 1958, most of the buildings of Chattahoochee Park were covered by water, leaving behind a sole pavilion building. This wood frame structure, which features an intricate roof trussing system, is owned by the American Legion Post 7 of Gainesville.

THE THREAT
The pavilion has a large amount of rotting timbers that are in need of repair and replacing.

SOLUTION
Develop and implement a restoration, long-range use and maintenance plan for the structure.

 

 

 

 

CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search