The Georgia Trust

2011 PLACES IN PERIL: ZION CHURCH

 

 

The Story: Built in 1848 by Talbotton master carpenter James D. Cottingham and master brick mason Miranda Fort, the Tudor-Gothic style Zion Episcopal Church features many fine details from the crenellated parapets on the roof to the triple-arched entrance. The interior’s construction is as detailed as the exterior. The church has a gallery which was used as seating for slaves. This slave gallery was used regularly for religious instruction of slaves, which was encouraged by the bishop of the diocese and Zion parishioners. Family box pews, laid out in a double row in the center with a single row of seven pews on each side, are as originally installed.

The Threat: Major threats to the site are neglect, lack of maintenance and lack of funding for maintenance. The structure has significant wood rot on the exterior along with the need for typical weathering repairs. Additionally there is a diseased mature oak tree directly adjacent to the church, which would crush the building if it fell.

 

 

 

 

 

 

CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search