The Georgia Trust

2010 PLACES IN PERIL: CANTON GRAMMAR SCHOOL

The Story: Built in 1914, the Canton Grammar School is reputed to be one of the few remaining Neoclassical Revival style schools in Georgia. The school housed grades 1-11 until 1924 when Canton High School was built across the street. The Grammar School building continued to be used as a school until 1974, when a new facility was constructed. The Cherokee County Board of Education reopened the building in 1976 as part of the Bicentennial Celebration.

Canton Grammar School is a contributing structure to the Canton Historic District for the Georgia Register of Historic Places.  A nomination for the National Register of Historic Places is awaiting approval.

The Threat: The school is vacant. The Cherokee County Board of Education does not have plans for the building's use, although discussions have included possible demolition. Occasional maintenance has occurred over the years, but there has been little, if any, preservation work completed to the property.

CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search