Story/significance: This two-story 1780s house is constructed of 24-inch-thick field stones and is recognized as the oldest surviving stone house in Georgia. The house was constructed by the Ansley family who received the land in 1783, fifteen years after the town of Wrightsborough was founded as the southernmost settlement of Quakers in America. The house remained privately owned until 1966, when the Wrightsborough Quaker Community Foundation purchased and restored the house with the intention of using it as a museum.
Challenge/threat: Vandalism and a lack of funding available for maintenance add to the overall threat to this historic structure.
Progress: In December 2007, the Watson-Brown Foundation Junior Board issued an emergency grant for the repair of windows, historic sashes and doors. On April 25, 2009, an educational event was held at The Historic Rock House, attended by approximately 60 people, including many of the descendents of the builder, Thomas Ansley. Using stimulus funds through One Stop of East Central Georgia, the foundation now has a security guard on site 24 hours every day.
Impacts/outcomes: The house is now guarded and secure.
Next Steps: Working with the local community of Thompson, The Georgia Trust will ensure that the Rock House continues to work on a cyclical maintenance plan. Also, The Georgia Trust is working with the Thompson McDuffie County CVB to promote the site as a destination for field trips. Funding will be sought to develop a visitor center and exhibits.