The Georgia Trust

25 YEARS OF RESTORATION AT HAY HOUSE

1977

 

 

The Georgia Trust receives Hay House and stock valued at $96,000 from the PL Hay Foundation

Hay House c. 1970

1978 Restoration planning begins
1980 Exterior restoration begun by Chris R. Sheridan & Company
1981 Restoration of exterior woodwork and masonry completed by Chris Sheridan & Company.
1984 Weather-proofing of windows
1985 Biltmore-Campbell-Smith study of decorative finishes on main floor.
1986 Site improvements: new sewer, storm and roof drains, underground utilities, parking area.
1988 Restoration of stained-glass panels in dining room door completed.  
1990 Recreation of historic finishes in Music Room completed.  
1991 Conservation and restoration of the entrance hall completed.  
1992 Rehabilitation of kitchen/loggia completed, including installation of public and handicapped-accessible restrooms.

Marble Hall After Restoration

1993 Paint analysis begins on second floor by Frank Welsh; analysis of paint in master bedroom suite completed.
1994

Completed capital campaign to fund restoration and endowment, exceeding $1 million goal. Georgia General Assembly appropriates $50,000 to Hay House.
First phase of archaeological investigation of the site conducted.

1995 Georgia General Assembly appropriates $75,000 to Hay House. Selected for $445,600 in Transportation Enhancement Activities funding as part of Federal ISTEA Program for continuing restoration. A required local match of $111,400 was raised for a total of $557,000 for the project.
1996 Restoration/research begins in Reception Room as part of ISTEA funded project; discovery includes Johnston/Felton era decorative painting.

Restoring the Reception Room

2000

Conservation Assessment Program studies for the building and the collections are completed by consultants through a Heritage Preservation grant (Institute of Museum & Library Services).

2001 Macon architects Jelks, McLees & Boggs are contracted to develop plans for the ISTEA project.
2002

IFACS artisans restore Hay period decorative finishes, walls and ceiling in Reception Room, conserving the 19th century murals and leaving the entire wall exposed as a witness to its earlier decorative scheme during the Johnston and Felton periods.

2003

Chris R. Sheridan awarded contract to replace the metal roof on the main Hay House structure and the metal roof on the cupola. L.E. Schwartz & Soon roofing contractors handled the roof replacement.

The project also included replacing the building's guttering and downspout system, waterproofing and repairing the balustrades on the third-floor balcony and cupola levels and reroofing a small balcony off the music room on the second level.

The project was funded by $445,600 in federal transportation enhancement funds (ISTEA) and a required local match of $111,400 raised by Hay House. Additional funds provided by grants and fund raisers were used to repair the balustrades and columns on the main level front porch and the frieze board over the front porch and partially restore the cupola interior.

2005

Chris R. Sheridan & Company awarded contract to make all exterior plaster, wood and metal repairs and paint the exterior of the house. Painting and plaster repairs handled by subcontractor A.T. Long & Son Painting Contractors.

Roof restoration work above the main entrance.



Dining Room after restoration.


Living Room after restoration.

2005 In May, IMLS grant received to correct moisture problems. The grant was matched by Hay House for a total project cost of $60,000.
2005 Work underway to complete the main level reception room restoration by early December.
2007 Successful $7 Million Hay House Capital Campaign completed. Funds to be used for restoration and ongoing maintenance.
2010 Restoration of the Dining and Living Rooms begin.
2011 Restoration of the Dining and Living Rooms completed. The Dining Room was restored to the late Johnston era (c.1870-90). The Living Room was restored to the late Hay era (1926-62), using a color photograph dating 1962 as a guide.
2011 Restoration of the Dining and Living Rooms receives preservation award from Historic Macon Foundation.

 

CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search